Friday, 11 March 2016

Spirited Away

Get in the mood by means of this song:

If you expect witty, boundless dialogues, you might be disappointed. But if you tend to be an occasional sleepwalker, as soon as the end credits appear in all their brutality and unfairness, you'll probably be asking yourself whether it was for real or not. To be honest with you, I'm by no means an expert in the field of anime. I'm just a girl who likes fairy tales and possesses too big an imagination, which sometimes turns out to be a curse.

I found out about 'Spirited Away' (千と千尋の神隠し) via its marvellous soundtrack. Some time ago I started browsing the Internet in search of film music, and classical music in general. Firstly, I needed to calm my nerves. Secondly, I was craving inspiration. And somehow nothing could provide me with enough stimuli. It's such a shame that I had underestimated classical music for so many years... Last year, however, when I came to my senses, I created a playlist on YouTube. Since then I've gathered more than 100 of my favourite pieces. 'Reprise / Again' from 'Spirited Away' has been at the top of the list since the very beginning.

The soundtrack is not the film’s only strength; there’s also the extraordinary animation. This is exemplified in the 'active running' scenes, of which there are quite a few  Chihiro is basically fleeing from something all the time. But she's not the one to blame, since she's just a little girl, whose parents were reckless enough to be turned into pigs by ancient gods. And it's just the beginning. Chihiro, in spite of her age, has to face the supernatural forces to get her decidedly chubby mummy and daddy back.What a fantastic concept for a storyline! And as if that wasn't enough, it turns out that nothing is what it seemes and the wickedest of characters ends up becoming one of the most loyal of friends. In the face of such absurdity, Chihiro handles it pretty well. How come little girls tend to be far more reasonable and courageous than the adults?

*                                 *                                 *

Are you intrigued? Well, see for yourself if the film is worth watching. If you still aren't convinced, the Academy may persuade you  in 2003 'Spirited Away' was awarded Best Animated Feature.


– What are all those stones? They look like little houses.
– Those are shrines. Some people believe spirits live in them.


I'm dreaming, I'm dreaming! Come on, wake up! Wake up! Wake up...
– You don't remember your name?
– No, but for some reason I remember yours.











Yeah I remember, being in darkness... Then I could hear Sen's voice calling out my name,
so I followed her voice and the next thing I knew, 
I was lying here better then ever.
 What's going on here?
– Something you wouldn't recognize. It's called love.





       
Once you've met someone, you never really forget them.


Check out my posts about two other films that I love:

No comments:

Post a Comment